The Suffolk County Fire Academy and the International Association of Fire Chiefs are partnering to offer “Helping Members Find Their Spark Through Mentoring”. This course teaches students how to start a mentoring program in their department. The course expands on the knowledge gained in the 4-hour web-based training of the same name that all students are required to take before attending the instructor-led training. This course features minimal lecture time but instead focuses on group discussions, small group activities and scenario-based activities. By the end of the course, students will understand how to start and maintain a mentoring program at their department.
The course focuses on the following six topics:
- Determining if a mentoring program is right for you and your department
- Establishing a successful mentoring program
- Choosing and training mentors
- Aligning new members with the right mentor
- Ensuring the long-term success of your program
- Troubleshooting common issue with a mentoring program
- Each class is limited to 20 attendees.
Student travel expenses (mileage/airfare, hotel, Lyft/Uber/taxi, etc.) to and from the course are reimbursable within IAFC guidelines. Once you submit the form and are admitted to the class, you will receive information regarding the travel reimbursement. Breakfast and lunch will be provided on both days of the course.
Questions: Contact Ilhan Abdi at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Register: Helping Members Find Their Spark Through Mentoring